Chicka Chicka Boom Boom


I LOVE starting the year with Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.

Here are some of our activities that we do.

I send these postcards to my students before the beginning of the year.



This is my coconut tree that I have in my room.



I made it many years ago out of pvc pipe, wire, and fun foam.  I got a thicker piece of pvc pipe and had it cut at Home Depot.  I hot glued pieces of brown fun foam to the outside of the pipe. Out of the large size pieces of different shades of green fun foam, I cut the large leaves.  Then I weaved wire through the leaves and stuck them trhough the top of the pipe.  I used small pieces of wood to build a stand to hold the pipe.

I have the video. This one is from schooltube.

         

 We explore coconuts.  Find out how to open them up at http://www.howtoopenacoconut.com/.


This a letter matching activity I created to go with the book. Click the picture below to grab your own copy.



Here's an activity with color words. Click the picture below to grab your own copy.


Come back tomorrow to see the new game I created to go with the book.

11 comments

Amy C said...

These are great! Thank you!

Jennifer said...

This is so cute! I haven't ever used this book in first but I love these and I really like the idea of exploring coconuts the first day of school. Way to hook the children!

Rowdy in First Grade

Heather said...

Landon couldn't stop talking about the coconut. He thought it was so cool.

Kathy said...

They were excited to hold them and couldn't believe how fuzzy they were! Hammer on Monday to break them open.

Amber Unger said...

So excited that I just discovered your blog! Thanks for CCBB freebies, they are great! :)

sspeller said...

Such cute ideas! I am really excited to use them...

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing!
Suz
Phoenix

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing! I'm making a game for my kindergartener!

Unknown said...

I love the freebie!! And I think we will be exploring the coconuts too!! And I'm a new follower!

Greg
Smedley's Smorgasboard of Kindergarten

mcgeeandme said...

Thank you so much for sharing your talent. So excited to use your CCBB materials with our unit next week. I just bought a coconut today too!

Unknown said...

I made a coconut tree out of big metal cans from the school kitchen. I took the big cans cleaned them out and covered them with brown tissue paper. Then I made leaves out of green construction paper and dowel rods and attached them to the top of the cans. The kids could interact with the story by putting on and taking off magnetic letters. It was a big hit!

Post a Comment

THANKS for taking the time to comment!